The Development Fund of the Western Reserve and Western Reserve Community Fund have closed the JRayl Transport project with loans totaling $1,770,000 ($1.67M from the Akron Community Revitalization Fund and $100K from WRCF).
These loans were with the purpose of financing the renovation of JRayl Transport’s headquarters located in a distressed neighborhood of Akron with a poverty rate of 40% and unemployment rate of 22% . Improvements include expanded break facilities,restrooms, office space and a fitness area. The building is over 60 years old and currently does not aid JRayl’s efforts to attract and retain both drivers and support personnel as a desired place to work. With this project, 65 jobs are estimated to be created and filled by Akron residents. Below are some additional items of note about the business.
- J.Rayl Transport is headquartered in Akron, OH & is a leading transportation and logistics provider.
- J.Rayl has made a large sustainability investment and deploys over 130 Compressed Natural Gas Tractors
- Founded in 1987:Grew from 1 to 350 trucks/drivers.
- Since 2006, J.Rayl has increased its employee base in Akron growing from 130 to over 260 associates. 60% of which reside in distressed census tracts.
- Partnering with Stark State College for their CDL program. J.Rayl will supply tractor and trailers and provide access to driver trainers/recruitment staff to instruct key courses. J.Rayl anticipates hiring 2 to 3 graduates per session.
DFWR and WRCF are thrilled to be able to aid in the sustainability of this company they have had great partnership from Summit County and the Land Bank. This is what Elevate Greater Akron is all about – responding to company’s needs in tangible ways in order to truly support them and help them grow!